After Surgery & Cancellations
10000 Falls of Neuse Road, 27614 | 919-350-8000 | Map & Directions
Your nurse will provide you with verbal and written instructions for home. An adult must be available to drive you home.
During the 24 hours after your surgery, a responsible adult should stay with you. Please do not stay alone. A nurse will attempt to call you on the next business day after surgery to check on your progress.
You should also:
- Avoid driving for 24 hours.
- Avoid tasks that involve the use of appliances or machinery.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid making critical decisions.
- Ask your doctor when you can resume your normal activities, such as work, exercise or school.
Most children stay in the Recovery Room for 1 to 2 hours following the surgery. You will receive verbal and written discharge instructions on the care of your child at home.
Most of the operations performed in Day Surgery require very little physical care other than occasional dressing changes. You will be given the telephone numbers of the surgeon and the anesthesiologist to call if you have any questions.
A nurse will contact you the next business day following surgery to see how you and your child/teenager are doing.
You should also plan to have yourself or a responsible adult stay with your child or teen during the first 24 hours after the surgery.
Surgery may be canceled when:
- Food and drink guidelines are not followed.
- No responsible adult is available to drive you home or stay with you for 24 hours after surgery.
- There are unexpected changes in your medical condition. Please let your physician know if you have a cold, fever or other illness.
- You arrive late on the day of your surgery.
If you need to cancel your appointment for surgery, please contact your physician.
If you need to cancel on the actual day of your surgery, please contact the pre-operative area at 919-350-1430.