New Nurse Graduate Fellows: What to Expect
3000 New Bern Avenue, Raleigh, NC 27610 | 919-350-8000 | Map & Directions
Please note: Recruitment for spring 2015 Nurse Fellow positions (for new nurse graduates) will begin in late fall 2014.
WakeMed requires all applicants and employees to complete an online application called a "profile." Please be sure to apply to the job title listed as "Staff Nurse - New Grad Fellow," not the Staff Nurse job titles in the different nursing areas.
WakeMed reviews all online applications/profiles. You must meet the minimum qualifications of the position to be considered. We receive a large volume of candidates who meet the minimum qualifications; therefore, for many positions, you must meet the preferred qualifications as well to be a top candidate. If you are a top candidate selected for an interview with WakeMed, the Human Resources department or the department hiring manager will contact you to schedule an interview.
Prior to your first interview you must:
During the Interview process:
- You must have your two reference letters mailed to: Human Resources Attn: Nurse Recruitment, 3000 New Bern Avenue, Raleigh, NC 27610
- You will receive an information packet about WakeMed and our benefits.
- You will also sign the electronic signature authorization form and release forms, authorizing WakeMed to verify your reference letters if needed and to perform a pre-employment criminal check.
If you are selected to receive a contingency offer from WakeMed, Human Resources will notify you. All official offers must be communicated by Human Resources and include a salary quote. A contingency offer means that the offer is contingent upon you passing the pre-employment process in order to begin work at WakeMed. If you do not pass the pre-employment process for any reason, you may be disqualified from consideration.
The pre-employment process includes:
- RN licensure verification
- Successful Clinical Instructor references and criminal background checks
- Successful completion of the drug screen
If you are an external applicant (are not currently employed by WakeMed), upon acceptance of a contingency offer from WakeMed, Human Resources will:
- Request your date of birth
- Schedule your drug test
- Discuss your start date
- Schedule you for Systemwide Orientation
- Send you an electronic packet of information, which will include: An offer letter, instructions for orientation, direct deposit information, benefit summary, and forms that you will need to complete prior to orientation
- Immunizations: Please bring any documented immunization records or laboratory confirmed testing of immunity (i.e. Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (measles), Mumps, Varicella (chicken pox), Tetanus, and Hepatitis B, or TB tests) completed within the last 12 months. If your TB test is positive, documentation of the positive PPD and/or copy of your chest x-ray results are needed. If you do not have documentation of immunizations, immunizations may be administered.
For your drug test, you will go to Occupational Health and Safety Department (OH&S). Please arrive on time. The OH&S appointment will last approximately one hour. Please do not bring children with you, as we cannot take responsibility for them while they are unattended during the process. You must bring a current picture ID, which includes your picture, your name, valid expiration date, and your signature.
When you pass the pre-employment process, you can begin your career at WakeMed Health & Hospitals!
If you are an internal applicant (are currently employed by WakeMed), upon acceptance of a contingency offer from WakeMed, Human Resources will:
- Discuss your effective date (you may be given 3 business days to consider the offer, if needed)
- Schedule you for Systemwide Clinical Orientation