Day Surgery at WakeMed Cary Hospital
Preparation for Discharge Home after Surgery
Following your procedure, you will be transferred to Day Surgery's Phase 2 area in the PACU (Post Anesthesia Care Unit) for post-op discharge care. Your care team will assist you in dressing and getting to the bathroom, if needed. Two family members will be permitted to sit with you in the Phase 2 area.
Your nurse will give you and family members sitting with you verbal and written instructions for home. An adult must drive you home. It's also important to have a responsible adult stay with you during the first 24 hours after surgery. The post-op nurse will attempt to call you the day after surgery to check on your progress.
You should also:
- Avoid driving for 24 hours.
- Avoid tasks that involve the use of appliances and machinery.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid making critical decisions.
- Watch for trouble signs such as difficulty in breathing, excessive bleeding, pain or fever. If any of these signs occur contact your surgeon, or seek emergency care if necessary. A sore throat for a day or two after surgery is normal.
Ask your doctor when you can resume your normal activities, such as work, exercise or school.