At WakeMed Health & Hospitals we provide a broad range of neuroscience services ranging from acute trauma care of those with brain injuries to a Primary Stroke Center, Neuro Intensive Care Unit, neurosciences unit and a comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation hospital. Neuropsychiatric services are an integral part of the array of services that we offer.
What is Neuropsychiatry?
Neuropsychiatry is a field of medicine focused on the evaluation, treatment and research of various emotional, behavioral and cognitive disorders that are secondary to underlying neurological disorders. Examples of neuropsychiatric disorders include:
Neuropsychiatric symptoms are often the primary reason for long term disability, poor rehabilitation outcomes and family conflict. Examples of neuropsychiatric consequences resulting from brain injury:
- Mood and behavioral changes
- Cognitive deficits including problems with:
- Planning and organization
Comprehensive evaluation and appropriate treatment should begin at the earliest possible stage of recovery. Research shows that doing so improves overall long term outcomes for patients.
A typical neuropsychiatric evaluation includes:
- Comprehensive examination
- Appropriate investigations as needed, including labs, brain imaging, EEG, neuropsychological testing, etc.
- Treatment planning
- Family education and counseling
- Appropriate referrals for others services as needed