WakeMed Children’s Emergency Department
It's no fun to have to take a child to the emergency department. But when that emergency department is designed to care specifically for children, things take a turn for the better.
At WakeMed, our dedicated Children's Emergency Department is the first freestanding facility of its kind in North Carolina. Last year we cared for more than 44,000 pediatric patients, ages infant to 17.
Our Children's ED is completely separate from our adult Emergency Department and is located on our Raleigh Campus. The team of pediatric nurses, physicians and specialists only work with children, understanding and meeting both their medical and emotional needs.
We deliver state-of-the-art emergency care in a way that helps children feel more relaxed and more receptive to treatment.
Our facility is a non-threatening, comfortable environment with a cheerful atmosphere, bright murals, children's wall-art and child-sized furnishings.
The Children's ED also offers:
- Child-sized medical instruments and equipment
- 24-hour support form Wake County's only designated Trauma Center, located next to the Children's ED
- Child life specialists to calm children while they are being treated
- A breathing treatment room for asthma patients, equipped with a television and videos
- An interactive gaming floor in the waiting room.
In addition to our dedicated Children's ED, the Emergency Departments at Cary Hospital, Apex Healthplex and North Healthplex are also child-friendly. In fact, nearly 30 percent of the patients they treat are children.