WakeMed is an 870-bed private, not-for-profit health care system based in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Our system is accredited by The Joint Commission, which monitors and evaluates health care organizations according to the established state-of-the-art quality and safety standards.
Services unique to WakeMed that bring added value to the communities we serve include:
- North Carolina's first freestanding Children's Emergency Department. It is a national model and serves more than 40,000 children each year.
- The WakeMed Heart Center ranks number one in volume among all North Carolina hospitals providing cardiac care and is also one of the highest volume heart centers in the United States.
- Mobile critical care services offering ground and air transport for adults and children.
- One of eleven mother's milk banks in the world.
- Two nationally accredited Chest Pain Centers.
Wake County's only:
- Level I Trauma Center as designated by the North Carolina Office of Emergency Medical Services.
- Licensed rehabilitation hospital with the most comprehensive physical rehabilitation continuum of care in eastern North Carolina.
- Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and one of seven Harvard developmental training sites.
- Neuro intensive care unit and dedicated neurosciences inpatient unit.
- Children's inpatient unit and intensive care unit - staffed around the clock by pediatric intensivists.
- Children's diabetes programs.
- Pediatrics specialists in surgery, neurology, endocrinology, orthopaedics, neonatology, child development and more.
- Women's Pavilion and Birthplace - Cary
- North Healthplex offers the state's first stand alone full-service emergency department.
- Emergency Services Institute focusing on research, emergency preparedness and response in the event of community emergencies and disaster either natural or man-made.
- Patient Simulation Center for training health professionals.
New to the Area?
You're not alone! Learn about Raleigh and our surrounding cities here.