Our Grassroots Strength: Who We Are
Safe Kids Wake County is composed of area organizations, businesses, and individuals interested in child safety.
Coalition members include:
- Law enforcement officers
- Firefighters and paramedics
- Medical and health professionals
- Parents and other volunteers
The Solution: What We Do
The mission of Safe Kids Wake County is clear - to reduce preventable injuries and death in Wake County children ages 14 and under from:
- Motor vehicle collisions
- Pedestrian incidents
- Bicycle crashes
- Fire & scald burns
- Airway obstructions
- Sports injuries
Safe Kids Wake County identifies and targets the injury problems most prevalent in the area, and then, by calling on the combined resources of the diverse membership, plans and implements strategies to address those problems by:
- Calling attention to the problem, through media and public awareness activities
- Advocating for engineering improvements and enhanced safety legislation and enforcement
- Providing educational programs for children and families
- Distributing lifesaving safety devices to families in need
The Problem: Preventable Injuries
Preventable injuries are the number one killer of children ages 14 and under in the U.S. Each year one out of every four children is hurt seriously enough to require medical attention. These injuries cost society $175 billion annually. Ninety percent of these injuries could be prevented if families took the simple steps necessary to protect their children.
Regular meetings of Safe Kids Wake County are held on the fourth Thursday of the month from noon to 1 pm at the William F. Andrews Conference Center for Medical Education on the WakeMed Raleigh Campus. Lunch is included. If you have questions or would like additional information, please call (919) 350-8364.
Safe Kids Wake County membership includes:
- Updates on child safety issues
- Access to data and information on common childhood injuries in your area
- Participation in child injury prevention events with trained child safety experts
- Access to experts to run safety related events at your business
- Collaboration with local partners to enhance your visibility and expand your mission
For more information about childhood safety and injury prevention, please visit Safe Kids USA at www.usa.safekids.org.
Exit the I-440 beltline at New Bern Avenue (13A) and turn toward downtown Raleigh. At the second traffic light, turn left into WakeMed's Emergency entrance. The Andrews Center is the first building on your left. Parking is available in the P3 Orange Parking Deck, two buildings from the Andrews Center.
To make a donation or to learn more about Safe Kids Wake County, please contact Siobhan Davis, WakeMed Injury Prevention Representative at 919-350-8364 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also write to the following address:
Safe Kids Wake County
3000 New Bern Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27610
For more information about Safe Kids, visit www.usa.safekids.org.