Minor Procedure Room
The WakeMed Children's Minor Procedure Room is located in the WakeMed Children's Hospital, fourth floor - E Tower, Raleigh Campus.
A Minor Procedure Room with Major Advantages
- Parents are welcome to be with their child before, during and after the procedure.
- The child can always have a family member by his or her side for comfort and support.
- It's a child-friendly environment where child life specialists provide education and fun distractions (toys, games, videos, iPads, etc.).
- Be reassured in knowing that pediatric intensive care specialists are in close proximity at all times.
- Parents can enjoy the comfort and conveniences of the Ronald McDonald House located on the same floor.
One Location Helps Reduce Stress & Anxiety
This dedicated procedure room allows patients to have minor procedures done right on the unit, eliminating the need to go to the operating room. The entire process, from scheduling to hospital discharge, takes place in one location. This helps eliminate any stress or anxiety a child may feel about travelling to another place in the hospital. Many children feel comfort in knowing they can remain in a familiar place throughout the duration of their stay.
Our Children's Physician Specialists
Pediatric surgeons, pediatric orthopaedic surgeons, pediatric intensivists, pediatric endocrinologists and other physician specialists who care for children perform procedures in the Children's Minor Procedure Room. They are assisted by highly skilled members of the WakeMed Children's care team as well as pediatric physician residents. Dedicated sedation intensivists, respiratory therapists and sedation/procedure nurses also work together to ensure children are safely and comfortably sedated throughout the procedure.
Procedures are performed on hospitalized patients as well as outpatients. Here are a few examples:
- Abscess drainage
- Suture removals
- Gastrostomy tube replacement
- Chest tube insertion or removal
- Lumbar punctures
- Wound dressing and WoundVac changes
- Blood draws for special needs children
- Ingrown toenail removal
- PICC line placement
- Fracture reductions
- Broviac removal
- Extra digit removal
Hours & Phone Number
Procedures are performed in the Children's Minor Procedure Room on weekdays from 8 am to 4 pm. Contact us for more informaton at (919) 350-9060.