Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
At WakeMed's Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), we provide expert treatment for life-threatening childhood diseases, automobile accident injuries, respiratory and heart problems, and other critical illnesses and injuries.
Our staff offers family-centered, personalized care in an eight-bed unit designed especially for children. Our PICU is the only unit of its kind in Wake County.
With an experienced staff of pediatric specialists, critical-care nurses, child life specialists, child psychologists, social workers, respiratory therapists and chaplains, our PICU is able to meet the physical as well as the emotional and psychological needs of children.
Our full-time pediatric intensivists - physicians who specialize in the care of critically ill children - are also faculty members at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine at Chapel Hill.
At WakeMed, they treat patients from birth to 18 years of age using the latest state-of-the-art pediatric technology. Our unit includes:
- Large, private rooms equipped with sleeper sofas and showers for parents
- State-of-the-art pediatric technology
- Ronald McDonald Family Room, equipped with a washer and dryer, computer, frozen meals and a microwave
- A dedicated treatment room so patients do not have to leave the Children's Hospital for a minor procedure or treatment
- Individualized care for children who have undergone pediatric surgical procedures
Meet the WakeMed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and Pediatric Hospitalist Physicians.