Community Resources for Persons with Stroke
3000 New Bern Avenue, 27610 | 919-350-8000 | Map & Directions
This is a brief list of available resources. If you need further information on additional resources, please contact your clinical case manager.
- Angel Food Ministries www.angelfoodministries.com Provides food to those who are struggling financially.
- Basic Needs Ministry (919-661-6565) www.4042needs.org Maintains list of free or low cost medical and other resources (food, appliances, clothing, furniture, appliances and more).
- Safety Net Medical Providers Provides information on doctors/dentists that accept Medicaid, listings of health centers, free medical clinics and more.
- Salvation Army (919-834-6733) Provides financial assistance, clothing, food pantry.
- Urban Ministries (919-834-4707) Provides financial assistance, food, and transitional housing.
- Wake County Human Services (919-212-7541) County office where applications for Medicaid and Food Stamps are taken.
- WCHS Emergency Assistance Service Intake (919-212-7000) Provides emergency financial assistance with utilities, rent, prescriptions, and other services.
EMERGENCY RESPONSE SYSTEM:
- Lifeline: 1-800-543-3546 (Equipment and monitoring from Lifeline)
- Medical Alarm (800-906-0872)
- Rescue Alert (800-688-9576)
ADVOCACY AND INFORMATION:
- Americans with Disabilities Act (http://www.ada.gov/) Provides information on disability rights laws.
- Community Partnerships (919-781-3616) Provides services to people with disabilities of all ages. Programs include: preschool services, brain injury support services, supported employment, and family education.
- Family Support Network (919-662-4600) Provides services to families of children with developmental disabilities, chronic illnesses or other special needs.
- NC Human Relations Commission (919-789-5930) Provides information regarding fair housing and housing discrimination concerns.
- NC Industrial Commission (919-807-2500) Provides information on workers’ compensation.
- Resources for Seniors (919-872-7933) Provides information on home and community-based resources so that disabled and senior adults can maximize their independence for as long as possible while remaining in their home.
- Triangle Disability Advocates (919-350-8539) Assists families in the Social Security application process.
COUNSELING / MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES:
- Catholic Social Services (919-790-8533) Provides counseling on a sliding fee scale.
- Hopeline (919-231-4525) 24-hour/7-day confidential supportive telephone counseling.
- Interact (919-828-7501) Crisis intervention, counseling and shelter for victims of domestic violence.
- Jewish Family Services (919-676-2200) Provides counseling on a sliding fee scale.
- Triangle Family Services (919-821-0790) Provides counseling on sliding fee scale.
- Wake County Human Services / Mental Health (919-250-3133) Emergency and non-emergency mental health services. Walk-ins and some scheduled appointments available. Accepts some insurance and sliding fee scale.
- Alliance Medical Ministry Clinic (919-250-3320) Medical care on sliding fee scale for eligible working families without health insurance.
- Doctor Choice (919-350-8900) Physician referral line.
- Open Door Clinic (919-832-0820) Free medical care by appt. for those with no insurance.
- Wake Health Services (919-833-3111) Provides general medical care and social work services. Insurance accepted, sliding fee scale.
HOME MODIFICATIONS AND ACCESSIBILITY:
- Center for Independent Living (919-715-0543) Home modifications and assistive equipment.
- Center for Universal Design (800-647-6777) Assists with planning for modifications in homes. Will talk with callers about needs and can send information packet.
- Imagine (919-779-3487) Accepts donated mobility and other durable medical equipment, and has donated equipment available at no charge.
- Resources for Seniors Housing and Home Improvement (919-872-7933) Home adaptations including wheelchair ramps, grab bars; minor home repair related to health and safety. For homeowners 55 and older, fees are based on income.
- Ramp and other product companies.. Multiple companies rent or sell a variety of home modification supplies.
- Social Security Administration (800-772-1213) Provides information on Social Security benefits and Medicare, Social Security Disability Benefits and SSI).
- Accessible Raleigh Transportation (ART) (919-890-3459) If you are a Raleigh resident with a physical or mental disability that makes it impossible to drive a car and/or use the city bus system, you are eligible for ART. The ART program provides subsidized door-to-door transportation service through participating taxi companies within Raleigh’s city limits and within a 3/4 mile of CAT fixed routes.
- Capital Area Transit -City Bus Service (919-828-7228) Discounted rates are available for senior citizens and persons with disabilities.
- Center for Volunteer Caregiving (919-460-0567) Volunteer-based transportation, limited availability.
- Durham Area Transit Authority (919-485-RIDE) Discounted rates are available for senior citizens and persons with disabilities.
- DATA ACCESS (919-560-1551) Provides curb-to-curb transportation service for eligible riders. DATA ACCESS operates service to all locations within the City of Durham and to any location outside the City that is three-quarters of a mile of any fixed-route service operated by DATA. DATA ACCESS provides service during the same hours and on the same days as the regular fixed-route service. Must submit application.
- Stalls Medical Supply (800-627-0732) New, used and rental wheelchair accessible vans.
- TRACS (212-7005,option 3) Public van service for Wake county residents traveling between certain zones (call to determine whether your trip is a covered zone); wheelchair accessible vans available.
- TRACS Edcap Program provides priority in scheduling transportation to seniors and those who are disabled.
- Van Products (919-878-7110) Sells wheelchair-accessible vehicles, lifts, ramps, hand controls and many other products.
- Wake Coordinated Transportation (919-212-7005) Clients who are Medicaid eligible are able to access free transportation to/from medical appointments – advanced notice required.
Wheelchair Van Transportation Companies (Call for price quotes and to schedule transport.)
- TriStar 919-878-1661
- Community Cab 919-231-6282
- Response Transportation 919-661-2504
- Shamrock Transportation 919-832-4601
- 2U Transit (Durham) 919-479-0929
- Joseph 919-669-0829
- Allen’s Transportation 919-610-3285
TRIANGLE SUPPORT GROUPS:
- Resources for Seniors: (919-872-7933) Maintains a list of caregiver and other specific support groups. Call for more information.
- Stroke Support Group (Cary:919-350-1706; Raleigh:919-350-4163)
- TapNet (919-350-0981) Support Group for Caregivers of those with Aphasia.
- American Diabetes Association (919-743-5400) www.diabetes.org
- American Heart Association (919-463-8312) www.americanheart.org
- Arthritis Foundation (800-883-8806) www.arthritis.org
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society Eastern NC Chapter (919-834-0678) ---- www.nationalmssociety.org
- National Stroke Association www.stroke.org
- Paralysis Resource Center (800-539-7309) www.paralysis.org
- Triangle Aphasia Project (919-350-0981) Serves individuals with aphasia and their caregivers www.aphasiaproject.org
- Community Alternatives Program for Disabled Adults (919-872-7933) An alternative to nursing home care for adults who require a high level of care and meet strict financial criteria.
- Independent Living, Raleigh office (919-715-0543) Offers a variety of services, including home modifications, personal assistance services, and counseling, to persons with disabilities that meet certain financial criteria. Available statewide.
- Meals on Wheels of Wake County (919-833-1749) Home delivered meals for disabled and homebound seniors.
- NC Assistive Technology Program, Raleigh office (919-850-2787) Provides assistive technology services and information through demonstrations, loans, and training. Available statewide.
- Partnerships in Assistive Technology-Assistive Technology Exchange Post (919-872-2298) http://www.pat.org/ Bull or sell assistive technology online. Available statewide.
- Vocational Rehabilitation, Raleigh office (919-733-7807) Promotes employment and independence for persons with disabilities. Available statewide.
PRIVATE DUTY ATTENDANTS / AIDES:
- Comfort Keepers (919-449-0004) www.ComfortKeepers.com
- Helping Hands of America (919-510-0960) >www.HHAmerica.com
- Home Health Aides (Medicare, Medicaid, some private insurances) Consult your company or case manager to determine eligibility.
- Home Care Services (Private pay hourly rates for companions, aides, or nurses) For Wake County residents, consult Resources for Seniors for listing area agencies (919-872-7933)
- Maxim Healthcare Services (919-676-7990) >www.MaxHealth.com
- Resourceswww.medicare.org for Seniors Home Companion Program (919-872-7933)
- Visiting Angels (919-787-4317) > www.VisitingAngels.com
PRESCRIPTION DRUGS MEDICARE PART D
- Medicare (800-633-4227) information to help in selecting Medicare prescription drug plan
- NCRx (888-488-6279) Drug assistance plan to help low-income seniors with Medciare Part D premiums.
- SHIIP (807-6900) Answers questions and counsels Medicare beneficiaries about Medicare supplements, Medicare Advantage, Medicare prescription plans, etc.
- Careline (1-800-662-7030) Provides information and referral on available resources. Spanish-speaking specialist available.
- Resources for Seniors (919-872-7933) www.resourcesforseniors.com - Provides home/community-based services so that disabled and senior adults can maximize their independence while remaining in their homes.
- Vocational Rehabilitation (919-733-7807) Helps persons with disabilities to obtain or maintain employment.
- Wake County Veterans Service Office (919-856-6161) Assists veterans and their dependents in applying for and obtaining veterans benefits.