WakeMed is the region's leading healthcare system and number one choice for Neuroscience patients. At WakeMed, we treat more neuroscience patients and provide the most comprehensive range of services than any other hospital in Wake County.
We partner with board-certified Neurosurgeons, Orthopedic Surgeons, Neurologists, Critical Care Intensivists, Neuroradiologists and Rehabilitation experts to create a coordinated multidisciplinary team. Our excellence in cardiac and vascular extends to neurosciences with specialists in cardiac and neuro-vascular intervention working together to manage complex central nervous system vascular disorders.
WakeMed is home to a Joint Commission-certified Primary Stroke Center. In addition, we have dedicated Neurosurgical operating suites, a Neurocritical Care Unit and Neuroscience Intermediate Care Unit that are staffed with health care professionals specifically trained in the care of patients with diseases and ailments affecting the nervous system.
WakeMed offers services across the continuum of care to include the following:
- The WakeMed Raleigh Campus earned Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center certification in 2006. WakeMed Cary Hospital earned its certification in 2008.
- Dedicated and specialized Neurosurgical Operating Suites
- The only NeuroCritical Care Unit in Wake County
- Neuroscience Intermediate Care Unit - Our nursing units and Neuro Operating Room have professionals specifically trained in the care of patients with diseases and ailments affecting the nervous system
- Mobile Critical Care Services - Offering ground and air transport for adults and children
- Emergency Care - Wake County's only Level I Trauma Center as designated by the North Carolina's Office of Emergency Medical Services
- Rehabilitation Hospital - The largest and most comprehensive rehabilitation hospital in the area. Including a wide range of inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation programs
- Neurodiagnostic Lab - Including advanced technology and specialized staff to record and evaluate electrical activity in the brain and nervous system for our neuroscience patients
- Neuroradiology Program - Staffed with Neuroradiologists expertly trained in reading and interpreting the latest diagnostic equipment
- Cath Lab - In addition to our heart program being the busiest in North Carolina and treating more heart patients than any other hospital in the state, our Cardiac and Neuro-endovascular interventionalists work together to manage the most complex neurovascular and cerebral disorders
Neurosciences Patient Information
What is a Concussion?
What is a Brain Attack?