The Children's Emergency Department offers:
- A team of physicians, nurses, therapists and technicians specially trained in both emergency medicine and pediatrics
- 24-hour support from Wake County's only designated Trauma Center, located next to the Children's Emergency Department
- Child-sized instruments and equipment
- Child Life Specialists to calm children during treatment
- X-ray rooms with day-glow scenes when the lights go out
- The "Breezeway" - a breathing treatment room for asthma patients, featuring movies on a large screen
- Private treatment rooms decorated by kids for kids - all with kid-size equipment, televisions and videos
- A sibling playroom
Moving Quickly When It Matters
The WakeMed Children's Transport Team works around the clock to bring pediatric and neonatal patients to WakeMed from other hospitals in Raleigh and throughout the state.
Transportation back to the original hospital or to another medical facility is also available.
Our Transport Team offers:
- Ground transportation - available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Pediatric/neonatal nurses and respiratory therapists on staff
- Specialized vehicles with life support monitors and other equipment for pediatric patients, plus an incubator for babies