If you are experiencing a medical emergency and need immediate assistance, please dial 9-1-1.
An emergency can happen at any time, in any place. And while no emergency is ever convenient, where you choose to receive treatment should be.
To assist you and your family in selecting the most appropriate and convenient WakeMed facility for your care, the following wait times are available around the clock here on the WakeMed website and on the WakeMed app for iPhone and Android devices.
Since no two people - and no two emergencies - are alike, your wait time may be longer or shorter than the times provided here. In addition, top priority will be given to you and others who are affected by a life-threatening illness or injury.
How Do We Determine the Average Wait Time?
- The average wait times provided here are based on a two hour average and are updated every 30 minutes.
- Estimated wait times reflect the time from check-in to care being initiated by a doctor, nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
Why Visit the Emergency Department?
The following is a list of conditions typically treated in the emergency department. If you are experiencing any of the following, please seek medical attention as soon as possible. If you are experiencing a medical emergency and need immediate assistance, please dial 9-1-1.
- Chest Pain/Shortness of Breath
- Serious trauma or injury
- Severe allergic reaction
- Large cuts/open wounds with uncontrolled bleeding
- Open or large bone fractures
- Complications related to pregnancy
- Loss of consciousness
- Acute abdominal pain
- High and uncontrolled fevers (especially in children)
- Head injuries
Find an Emergency Department Near You. For less-urgent medical needs, WakeMed also has two Urgent Care locations.