Child Life Services
Are you a child life professional or a student interested in child life? If so, please join us for our 2016 Child Life Conference. Learn more.
WakeMed Child Life Specialists are located in different departments throughout the hospital system, including the Children's Emergency Department, the Pediatric Floor, the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) and Day Surgery. WakeMed's Child Life program is designed especially for pediatric patients, ages 0 to 17.
Helpful Resources Created by Our Child Life Specialists
Meet the Child Life Specialists who focus on making your child's hospitalization a good experience by:
- Reducing stress and anxiety for children, teens and family members regarding the medical environment and experiences
- Preparing children, teens and families for hospitalization, surgery and medical procedures according to age/development
- Facilitating distraction and coping during medical procedures and examinations according to age/development
- Encouraging self expression and normalization through general play, medical play and therapeutic activities
- Providing developmentally appropriate resources/activities (playrooms, movies, video games and crafts) to promote coping
- Supporting the emotional and educational needs of parents, siblings and family members who are with the patient
- Facilitating educational workshops, in-services and presentations highlighting the care of pediatric patients
- Providing emotional support for families during pediatric cases of bereavement
- Collaborating with other medical team members to create educational resources for patients, families and medical staff
If you are interested in talking with a child life specialist, ask your nurse or call (919) 350-8000. You can also reach the child life specialists in each department directly.
Pediatrics & Pediatric Intensive Care Unit: 919-350-8832
Children's Emergency Department: 919-350-2883
Day Surgery: 919-350-7166