3024 New Bern Avenue, 27610 | 919-350-8000 | Map & Directions
About WakeMed's ENERGIZE! Educational Programming
Designed for children age 6-18, ENERGIZE! consists of a family-centered approach to making healthy lifestyle changes. Patients will receive an initial health behavior evaluation as well as ongoing education and support. Based on need and motivation levels, each family will be enrolled in one of the following options:
- A community-based, 12-week exercise and educational program that meets three times a week and includes group healthy lifestyle education and fitness programs
- Individual medical nutrition therapy and healthy lifestyle education sessions, including individual meal and fitness plans
- Predict risk: Identify children ages 6-18 with an elevated body mass index who may be at risk for developing type 2 diabetes, prediabetes or cardiovascular disease
- Provide family-centered healthy lifestyle education in a group or individual setting that positively impacts families' health behaviors
- Prevent weight-related health problems through family support and sustainable lifestyle change
Who We Are
Under the medical direction of Dr. Bill Lagarde, director of WakeMed Physician Practices - Pediatric Endocrinology, ENERGIZE! is taught collaboratively by dedicated WakeMed registered dietitians and clinicians (learn more about our team) and YMCA fitness partners. The YMCA is a WakeMed community health partner. The group program takes place in either a Triangle YMCA location or a community school.
How it Works
ENERGIZE! begins with a physician referral - see physician referral form - and screening labwork.
Your family will then meet with an educator so that he or she can explain the program and evaluate your child's readiness to change. This is a great opportunity to learn more about the program and how your family can get involved. Upon completion of the program, we schedule follow-up visits and provide on-going education and support as needed.
- The average BMI of ENERGIZE! participants decreased or stayed the same over the course of 12 months.
- BMI or Body Mass Index is a common measure used to assess body composition.
- Because weight loss in children is not the intended goal, maintaining BMI is a huge success.
- Fasting blood glucose, total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein, triglyceride, blood pressure measures improved for ENERGIZE! participants.
- ENERGIZE! participants increased muscular strength, endurance, and flexibility.
- Both kids and their caretakers increased physical activity over the course of one year following ENERGIZE!
- Families decreased their sweetened beverage consumption, saving on calories and money.
- Families decreased their consumption of high fat snacks.
Start an ENERGIZE! Program in Your Community
If you are interested in starting and running an ENERGIZE! program in your community, please contact Julie Paul, RD, CDE, for more information: 919-350-7594.
ENERGIZE! in the News
ENERGIZE! was a finalist in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Healthy Lifestyles Innovation Award. The Healthy Living Innovation Award acknowledges innovative health promotion projects that make significant impacts on the health status of their communities.
WakeMed ENERGIZE! Wins Award from the American Hospital Association
Comments from Families
"I have benefited from ENERGIZE! because now I know I can control what I do! I eat more fruit, exercise more and drink a lot of water."
"I learned exercises you can do with or without equipment. I learned how to talk to my child about healthy meal choices. I learned to exercise until I sweat to get more benefit from my workout. I loved the family night activities and tasting the fruits and vegetables. This is a great program, I got a lot from it."
ENERGIZE! is proud to partner with community organizations to provide families with more opportunities to achieve a healthy lifestyle. Learn more below:
|Young woman adopts a healthy lifestyle through WakeMed's ENERGIZE! program
As a result of her participation in ENERGIZE!, Essence lost 44 pounds, discovered how fun Zumba can be, learned about healthy portions, and according to her foster mother, became a more confident person.
Read about Essence's success with ENERGIZE! on our blog